Can someone please explain to me why or how gossip is the better sin? Sex is a sin, I know that, being gay is a sin, so is vanity, gossip, lying, murder, adultery, gluttony, greed,judgment, etc. What makes someone who thumbs their nose part of Gods word any better than the person who thumbs their nose at any other part of Gods word. I am a sinner, sometimes its gossip, sometimes its lying, sometimes its gluttony, take your pick, I've done all at one time or another. I am not proud of it by any stretch of the imagination. Knowing I am a sinner and recognizing it for what it is keeps me humble.
I do consider myself a work in progress. I can't ever imagine a time when I am not learning. Raising kids is a tricky process. I've raised them in the church, I have tried to lead by example with every thing I do. I am slow to anger and when my children are picked on or gossiped about, I stuff 'momma bear' mode down deep and try to teach them how to rise above it all and try to be godly in everything they do. Sometimes I fail miserably. Teaching them I have learned more about myself in the process.
Some of the hurtful things I have heard about my family and my son has made it very difficult to stuff the 'momma bear' mode. People I have figured as godly people that I thought had 'done it right' where raising children was concerned have been saying some seriously mean and nasty things about my son. They have been gossiping. I think the only difference between the sins of premarital sex and gossip is that you can get caught in a very public way and you can't deny it.
Austin's girlfriend is pregnant. Some of the things his girlfriend has been told is just wrong. Sex is NOT the worst sin in the world. Possibly one of the most hurtful to the parents but not the worst. The denial of Christ is THE worst. People forget that so easily, it makes me wonder where their heart is.
I've been judged as a horrible parent. I've done the best I can. My kids know scripture, they know Christ, they know what miracle has been worked in our lives because He loves us, we have been active in church we have done everything that we know to do. I've walked the walk and talked the talk. I've been honest(much to the dismay of my children) about sex. I've told them about what God says about it and about how we should conduct ourselves but like all kids, there is a part of them that says 'they know better'. I also get that teens are teens. As much as I would love to think that they didn't think of the opposite sex, I know that's not true either. I've done the best and I don't care what others think but they think my kids are horrible. That couldn't be further from the truth and it breaks my heart.
The thing is that when the world judges me, I could care less because I wear the banner of Christ proudly. Mainly though, the world doesn't care. Its the Christian brothers and sisters, some I don't even know that are tearing my family to shreds with their cruel words and judgements.
Thankfully God knows me better than I know myself, He also knows my husband and children and maybe even my mother(A whole different ball of wax). I am thankful that He has also given me the wisdom to know that I am blessed that I have a few friends that I can trust with my life and my children and my heart. I know that they will be there for me and my family through thick and thin which is more precious than gold.
I realize this is a very random post but I am growing weary of defending my kids against gossip mongers and the like.
You are exactly right about this:
ReplyDeletethere are sins that are very public and sins that can be done under the radar (to a certain extent).
Unfortunately, the sins that result in very "out front" consequences are the ones that get talked about the most.
I can't imagine how hard this is for both sets of parents. It carries so many emotions; especially being Christians and going to church and knowing the same people.
It's just a hard situation.
This "mama bear" can definitely sympathize with you and I don't dare say that I would act the way I was supposed to, if I were in your shoes.
I pray God will give you strength and peace.
Maybe in time, all parties will be able to come together, by God's grace, and love the way we're supposed to, in hard times.
God bless you Christie:)